A dental crown, often referred to as a “cap,” is a meticulously crafted dental restoration that envelops an ailing tooth entirely. It stands as a protective fortress, shrouding the visible part of the tooth above the gum line, strengthening and safeguarding it from further harm while embellishing its aesthetic allure.
Designed with precision, dental crowns harmoniously blend into your smile, mirroring the colour, shape, and size of your natural teeth.
Several scenarios might warrant the use of dental crowns:
- Tooth Decay: Teeth affected by extensive cavities that cannot be repaired with fillings might require crowns to restore their structural integrity
- Fractured or Broken Teeth: Teeth that are fractured or broken due to trauma or wear can be saved and reinforced with crowns.
- Root Canal Therapy: The treated tooth can be more vulnerable to fractures following a root canal procedure. Crowns protect these more fragile teeth.
- Cosmetic Enhancement: : Teeth with significant discoloration, irregular shape, or size discrepancies can be transformed with dental crowns, greatly enhancing your smile.
- Implant Restoration: Dental crowns are used to restore dental implants, replacing missing teeth with a durable and functional prosthetic.
Getting a dental crown entails two key appointments:
1. Preparation (Shaping the Tooth)
The inaugural visit sets the stage. We shape the tooth, meticulously removing decay and restoring structural integrity with a tooth-coloured filling material. The tooth is sculpted to welcome its forthcoming crown. An impression or digital scan captures the tooth’s unique contours, ensuring a snug fit. During this period, a temporary crown shields the tooth until its permanent counterpart is ready for deployment.
The custom-designed crown, crafted with precision in a dental laboratory, is applied. Employing advanced dental adhesives, the crown is positioned with final adjustments to ensure a harmonious bite and a naturally pleasing appearance.
The decision to undergo dental crown treatment brings with it several advantages:
- Strength and Durability: Crafted from materials like porcelain, ceramic, or even gold, crowns boast exceptional strength and longevity, withstanding the tests of time.
- Natural Beauty: Each crown is customised to replicate the colouring and contours of neighbouring teeth, blending seamlessly into your smile.
- Restored Functionality: A crowned tooth regains its functionality, enabling comfortable chewing and confident speech.
- Protection: : Crowns shield weakened teeth from further damage, reducing the risk of fractures and decay.
- Cosmetic aesthetics: Dental crowns improve the overall aesthetics of the smile, boosting confidence and self-esteem.
Taking care of Dental Crowns with Dental Off Chapel
Maintaining the brilliance of dental crowns is very straightforward. Sound oral hygiene practices—regular brushing, flossing, and professional dental cleanings—form the cornerstone of crown care.
As always, the team from Dental Off Chapel are here to support you with your Dental Crowns and all other oral care needs. Let’s chat about your teeth today!